- Ph.D. Iowa State University, Statistics, 2009
- M.S. Iowa State University, Statistics, 2005
- B.S. University of Science and Technology of China, Statistics, 2004
- Professor, Department of Statistics, Virginia Tech, since 2020
- Associate Professor, Department of Statistics, Virginia Tech, 2014-2020
- Assistant Professor, Department of Statistics, Virginia Tech, 2009-2014
Awards & Honors
- ASA Physical and Engineering Sciences Award, American Statistical Association, 2017.
- The 2016 Wilcoxon Award for best practical application paper in the 2015 issues of Technometrics, American Statistical Association and American Society for Quality, 2016.
- Best Reliability Paper in Quality Engineering, American Society for Quality Reliability Division, 2014.
- ISI Elected Member, International Statistical Institute, 2014.
- ASA Best Paper Award for Young Business and Industrial Statisticians, the International Society for Business and Industrial Statistics, 2012.
- DuPont Young Professor Award, DuPont, 2011.
- George W. Snedecor Award in Statistics, Iowa State University, 2007
- Co-guest Editor for Journal of Quality Technology for a special issue on Big Data in Reliability, 2015-2018
- Associate Editor for Technometrics, 2013-2022
- Editorial Review Board Member for Journal of Quality Technology, since 2016
- STAT 3615 Biological Statistics
- STAT 4106 Theoretical Statistics
- STAT 5124 Linear Model Theory
- STAT 5454 Statistical Methods for Reliability Data
- STAT 5594 Deep Learning and Applications in Survival Analysis
- STAT 5605 Biometry/Biostatistics I
- STAT 5606 Biometry/Biostatistics II
- STAT 5684 Survival Analysis
- STAT 5694 Longitudinal Data Analysis
- Machine Learning and Engineering Applications
- Reliability Analysis; Safety of Artificial Intelligence Systems
- Survival Analysis, Longitudinal Data Analysis; Biostatistics
- Spatial Data Analysis; Epidemiology
- Statistical Computing
Selected publications and a complete and up-to-date list is available at Google Scholar.
- Lian, J., Freeman, L., Hong, Y., and Deng, X. (2021), Investigating the Robustness of Artificial Intelligence Algorithms with Mixture Experiments, Journal of Quality Technology, Vol 53, pp. 505-525.
- Xu, L., Gotwalt, C., Hong, Y., King, C. B., and Meeker, W. Q., (2020), Applications of the Fractional-Random-Weight Bootstrap, The American Statistician, Vol. 74, pp. 345-358.
- Xu, L., Wang, Y., Lux, T., Chang, T., Bernard, J., Li, B., Hong, Y., Watson, L., and Cameron, K. (2020), Modeling I/O performance variability in high- performance computing systems using mixture distributions, Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing, Vol. 139, pp. 87-98.
- Xie, Y., Xu, L., Li, J., Deng, X., Hong, Y., Kolivras, K. N., and David N. Gaines (2019), Spatial Variable Selection and An Application to Virginia Lyme Disease Emergence, Journal of the American Statistical Association, Vol. 114, pp. 1466-1480.
- Yuan, M., Tang, C., Hong, Y., and Yang, J. (2018), Disentangling and Assessing Uncertainties in Multiperiod Corporate Default Risk Predictions, The Annals of Applied Statistics, Vol. 12, pp. 2587-2617.
- Lee, I., Hong, Y., Tseng, S. T., and Dasgupta, T. (2018), Sequential Bayesian Design for Accelerated Life Tests, Technometrics, Vol. 60, pp. 472-483.
- Hong, Y., Zhang, M., and Meeker, W. Q., (2018), Big Data and Reliability Applications: The Complexity Dimension, Journal of Quality Technology, Vol. 50, pp. 135-149.
- Xie, Y., King, C., Hong, Y., and Yang, Q. (2018), Semiparametric Models for Accelerated Destructive Degradation Test Data Analysis, Technometrics, Vol. 60, pp. 222-234.
- Li, J., Hong, Y., Thapa, R., and Burkhart, H. E. (2015), Survival Analysis of Loblolly Pine Trees with Spatially Correlated Random Effects, Journal of the American Statistical Association, Vol. 110, pp. 486-502.
- Hong, Y., Duan, Y., Meeker, W. Q., Stanley, D. L., and Gu, X. (2015),
Statistical Methods for Degradation Data with Dynamic Covariates
Information and an Application to Outdoor Weathering Data, Technometrics,
Vol. 57, pp. 180-193.
- Meeker, W. Q. and Hong, Y. (2014), Reliability Meets Big Data: Opportunities and Challenges (with discussion), Quality Engineering, Vol. 26, pp. 102-116.
- Hong, Y. (2013), On Computing the Distribution Function for the Poisson Binomial Distribution, Computational Statistics and Data Analysis, Vol. 59, pp. 41-51.
- Yang, Q., Hong, Y., Chen, Y., and Shi, J. (2012), Failure Profile Analysis of a Single Repairable System Using Trend-renewal Process, IEEE Transactions on Reliability, Vol. 61, pp. 180-191.
- Al-Khalidi, H. R., Hong, Y., Fleming, T. R., and Therneau, T. (2011), Insights on the Robust Standard Error Under Recurrent Events Model, Biometrics, Vol. 67, pp. 1564-1572.
- Hong, Y., Meeker, W. Q., and McCalley, J. D. (2009), Prediction Intervals for Remaining Life of Power Transformers Based on Left Truncated and Right Censored Lifetime Data, The Annals of Applied Statistics, Vol. 3, pp. 857-879.
213 Hutcheson Hall (MC 0439)
250 Drillfield Drive