- Ph.D. in Statistics, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Thesis title: Statistical analysis of networks with community structure and bootstrap methods for big data, Aug 2011 – Jul 2016
- Master’s in Statistics, Indian Statistical Institute (First class with distinction), Specialization: Mathematical Statistics and Probability, July 2007 – May 2009
- Bachelor’s in Statistics, Indian Statistical Institute (First class with distinction) July 2004 – May 2007
Awards and Honors
- IMS Travel Award, JSM 2016
- New Researcher Travel Award, Institute of Mathematical Statistics, 2016
- Norton Prize for Outstanding PhD Thesis, University of Illinois, 2015
- NSF travel award, Statistics for Complex Systems, 2015
- Graduate College travel award, University of Illinois, 2013, 2014, 2015
- Birla Sun Life Excellence award, Institute of Actuaries of India, 2010
Membership in Professional Societies
CMDA 3654: Introduction to Data Analytics and Visualization, Fall 2016
- Statistical methodology
- Network data
- Community structure in networks
- Bootstrap and related resampling methods
- Machine learning
- Big data and computational statistics
- Time series and Spatial data
- Statistical applications in scientific fields
- Sengupta, S., Volgushev, S., and Shao, X. (2016). A subsampled double bootstrap for massive data. Journal of the American Statistical Association (Theory and Methods). In Press. Preprint available at http://arxiv.org/abs/1508.01126. (ASA Nonparametric Statistics Section student paper finalist, 2015)
- Sengupta, S. and Chen, Y. (2015). Spectral clustering in heterogeneous networks. Statistica Sinica, 25, 1081-1106.
- Sengupta, S., Shao, X., and Wang, Y. (2015). The dependent random weighting. Journal of Time Series Analysis, 36, 315-326. (Invited paper for the special issue on “Recent developments in bootstrap methods for dependent data”).
- Sengupta, S. (2010). Modeling the zero coupon yield curve: A regression based approach. In Proceedings of 12th Global Conference of Actuaries.