- Ph.D. in Statistics
University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT, 2007
Dissertation title: Modelling Genetic Data using Bayesian Hierarchical Models
- Ph.D. in Transportation Engineering
University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT, 2010
Dissertation title: Nationwide Freight Generation Models
- M.S. Transportation Economics and Management
Tongji University, Shanghai, China, 2000
- B.S. Highway and Traffic Engineering
Tongji University, Shanghai, China, 1995
Honors and Awards
- 58th “Most Talked About” Academic Study in 2014, (more than 70 news including CBS, NBC, NPR, Associated Press, Fox News, and Routers) Altmetric.com 2014
- Chair, Transportation Statistics Interest group of American Statistical Association. 2016-current
- Associate Editor, Sankhya Series B. 2016-current
- 2015 Taylor Technical Talent Award, “Impact of Roadway Lighting on Crash Safety” Ronald Gibbons, Feng Guo, Alejandra Medina, Travis Terry, Jianhe Du, Paul Lutkevich, Qing Li
- Best Poster Award: “Senior Fitness-to-Drive Evaluation using Naturalistic Driving Study Data”, Feng Guo, Youija Fang, Jonathan Antin, The Fourth International Symposium on Naturalistic Driving Study
- Section on Bayesian Statistical Science best student paper award, Joint Statistical Meeting, Salt Lake City, 2007
- Gottfried Noether Award, University of Connecticut, For excellence in mathematical statistics, January 2004
- Graduate Predoctoral Fellowship, University of Connecticut, 2004
- American Statistical Association
- Mu Sigma Rho national statistical honor society
- International Chinese Statistical Association
- Co-Chair, Data Analysis Committee. SAE Crash Data Collection and Analysis
- Vice-Chair, Transportation Statistics Interest group of American Statistical Association.
- Member of the Transportation Research Board Committee on Statistical Methods, (ABJ80)
- Member of the Transportation Research Board Committee on Safety Data, Analysis, and Evaluation (ANB20)
- National Academy of Sciences Panel Study on Research Methodologies and Statistical Approaches to Understanding Driver Fatigue Factors in Motor Carrier Safety and Driver Health.
- Member of the Transportation Research Board Subcommittee on Traffic Surrogate Measures
- Bayesian Models
- Transportation Safety Modeling
- Spatial Statistics
- Generalized Linear Models
- Guo, F. , S.G. Klauer, Y. Fang, J.M. Hankey, J.F. Antin, M.A. Perez, S.E. Lee, T.A. Dingus. (2016), The Effects of Age on Crash Risk Associated with Driver Distraction, International Journal of Epidemiology ( in press)
- Dingus, Thomas A., Feng Guo, Suzie Lee, Jonathan F. Antin, Miguel Perez, Mindy Buchanan-King, and Jonathan Hankey. "Driver Crash Risk Factors and Prevalence Evaluation Using Naturalistic Driving Data." Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 113, no. 10 (March 8, 2016): 2636-41.
- Guo, Feng, Youjia Fang and Jonathan F. Antin. "Older Driver Fitness-to-Drive Evaluation Using Naturalistic Driving Data." Journal of Safety Research 54, (2015): 49.e29-54.
- Simons-Morton, Bruce G., Sheila G. Klauer, Marie Claude Ouimet, Feng Guo, Paul S. Albert, Suzanne E. Lee, Johnathon P. Ehsani, Anuj K. Pradhan and Thomas A. Dingus. "Naturalistic Teenage Driving Study: Findings and Lessons Learned." Journal of Safety Research 54, (2015): 41.e29-44.
- Zhu, H. H., Q. Chen, J. W. Ju, Z. G. Yan, F. Guo, Y. Q. Wang, Z. W. Jiang, S. Zhou and B. Wu. "Maximum Entropy-Based Stochastic Micromechanical Model for a Two-Phase Composite Considering the Inter-Particle Interaction Effect." Acta Mechanica 226, no. 9 (2015): 3069-3084.
- Gibbons, Ronald B., Feng Guo, Alejandra Medina, Jianhe Du, Travis Terry, Paul Lutkevich and Qing Li. "Approaches to Adaptive Lighting on Roadways." Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board 2485, (2015): 26-32.
- Farmer, Charles M., Sheila G. Klauer, Julie A. McClafferty and Feng Guo. "Relationship of near-Crash/Crash Risk to Time Spent on a Cell Phone While Driving." Traffic Injury Prevention 16, no. 8 (2015): 792-800.
- Hickman, J.S., Guo, F., Camden, M.C., Hanowski, R.J., Medina, A., & Mabry, J.E. (2015). Efficacy of roll stability control and lane departure warning systems using carrier-collected data. Journal of Safety Research, 52, 59-63.
- Greg Fitch, Rich Hanowski, Feng Guo, (2015) The Risk of a Safety-Critical Event Associated with Mobile Device Use in Specific Driving Contexts, Traffic Injury Prevention,;16(2):124-32
- Chen, Q., Zhu, H. H., Ju, J. W., Guo, F., Wang, L. B., Yan, Z. G., Zhou, S. (2014). A stochastic micromechanical model for multiphase composites containing spherical inhomogeneities, Acta Mechanica, 1-20.
- Feng Guo and Lisa Aultman-Hal(2014), “A Zone Design Methodology for National Freight Origin-Destination Data and Transportation Modeling”, Accepted, Transportation Planning and Technology. V. 37, Issue 8, pp738-756.
- Marie Claude Ouimet, Thomas G. Brown, Feng Guo, Sheila G. Klauer Bruce G. Simons-Morton, Youjia Fang, Suzanne E. Lee, Christina Gianoulakis, Thomas A. Dingus(2014)., Higher crash and near-crash rates in teenage drivers with lower cortisol response: an 18-month longitudinal, naturalistic study, Journal of American Medical Association: Pediatrics, 168(6): 517-522
- Bruce G. Simons-Morton, Feng Guo, Sheila G. Klauer, Johnathon P. Ehsani, Anuj K. Pradhan (2014), Keep Your Eyes on the Road: Young Driver Crash Risk Increases According to Duration of Distraction, Journal of Adolescent Health, 54(5):S61–S67.
- Sheila G Klauer, Feng Guo, Bruce G Simons-Morton (2014), Distracted driving and crash risk. New England Journal of Medicine 370(16):1565-6.
- Sheila G. Klauer*, Feng Guo*, Bruce G. Simons-Morton, Marie Claude Ouimet, Suzie E. Lee, and Tom A. Dingus (2014), "The Prevalence and Risk of Cell Phone and Other Secondary Tasks as Observed in Crashes and Near-Crashes with Novice and Experienced Drivers", The New England Journal of Medicine, 370:54-59.
* Equally contributing authors
- Feng Guo, Bruce G. Simons-Morton, Sheila E. Klauer, Marie Claude Ouimet, Thomas A. Dingus, and Suzanne E. Lee (2013), “Variability in Crash and Near-Crash Risk among Novice Teenage Drivers: A Naturalistic Study”, the Journal of Pediatrics, 163(6): 1670-1676.
- Feng Guo and Youjia Fang (2013), “Individual Driver Risk Assessment Using Naturalistic Driving Data”, Accident Analysis and Prevention, 61(0): 3-9.
- Soccolich, Susan A., Myra Blanco, Richard J. Hanowski, Rebecca L. Olson, Justin F. Morgan, Feng Guo, and Shih-Ching Wu (2013) "An Analysis of Driving and Working Hour on Commercial Motor Vehicle Driver Safety Using Naturalistic Data Collection." Accident Analysis & Prevention, 58:249-58.
- Guo, Feng, Qing Li, and Hesham Rakha. "Multistate Travel Time Reliability Models with Skewed Component Distributions." Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board 2315, no. -1 (2012): 47-53.
- Bruce G Simons-Morton, Kyeongni Cheong, Feng Guo, Paul Albert (2012). Trajectories of Kinematic Risky Driving Among Novice Teenagers. Accident Analysis & Prevention, 51C:27-32.
- Hickman, J.S., Guo, F., Hanowski, R.J., Bishop, R., Bergoffen, G., & D. Murray. (2012). Safety benefits of speed limiters in commercial motor vehicles using carrier-collected crash data. Journal of Intelligent Transportation Systems, 16(4), 177-183.
- Jonathan F. Antin, Thurmon E. Lockhart, Laura M. Stanley, Feng Guo (2012), “Comparing the impairment profiles of older drivers and non-drivers: toward the development of a fitness-to-drive model”. Safety Science vol. 50, pp 333-341.
- Yan Jiao, Enric Cortés, Kate Andrews, and Feng Guo (2011), “Poor-data and data-poor species stock assessment using a Bayesian hierarchical approach”, Ecological Applications 21(7), pp 2691-2708.
- David C. Novak, Christopher Hodgdon, Feng Guo, and Lisa Aultman-Hall (2011), “Nationwide Freight Generation Models: A Spatial Approach”, Networks and Spatial Economics. Vol.11 pp. 23-41.
- Feng Guo, Hesham Rakha, Sangjun Park (2010) “A Multi-State Travel Time Reliability Model”, Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board. Vol. 2188, pp 46-54.
- Sangjun Park, Hesham Rakha, Feng Guo (2010), “Multi-state Travel Time Reliability Model: Model Calibration Issues”, Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board. Vol. 2188, pp 74-84.
- Feng Guo, Sheila G. Klauer, Jonathan M. Hankey, Tomas A. Dingus (2010), “Near-Crashes as Crash Surrogate for Naturalistic Driving Studies” the Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board. Vol 2147, pp 66-74.
- Feng Guo, Xuesong Wang, and Mohamed A. Abdel-Aty (2010), “Modeling Signalized Intersection Safety with Corridor Level Spatial Correlations”, Accident Analysis and Prevention. 42(1), pp 84-92.
- Feng Guo, Dipak Dey, and Kent Holsinger (2009), “A Bayesian Hierarchical Model for Analysis of Single-Nucleotide Polymorphisms Diversity in Multilocus, Multipopulation Samples”, Journal of the American Statistical Association. Vol. 104, No. 485, pp. 142-154.
- Darren Scott, David Novak, Lisa Aultman-Hall, and Feng Guo (2006), "Network Robustness Index: A New Method for Identifying Critical Links and Evaluating the Performance of Transportation Networks", Journal of Transportation Geography, Vol 14 No. 3, pp. 215-227.