The vision of the Virginia Tech Department of Statistics is to become the best applied statistics department in the nation. We feel we are well on the way in the area of industrial statistics. The Corporate Partners program is a cooperative outreach venture to solidify the mutually beneficial informal ties that have been built over the past 50 years by the Virginia Tech Department of Statistics with industry and government.
About the Program
- Annual Symposium and Advisory Board meeting for information exchange and graduate recruiting.
- Newsletter to keep partners abreast of student development, departmental research, publications, and planning.
- Opportunities to recruit interns and graduates (B.S., M.S., and Ph.D.).
- Easy access to departmental dissertations and technical reports.
- Easy access via faculty referral to leading edge research.
- Comprising an Advisory Board for the department, the Partners will provide curriculum refinement to tune our program to the rapidly changing needs of users of statistics.
- Research ideas and opportunities for collaboration.
- Internships and career opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students.
- Funding for graduate student scholarships and awards.
- Funding to support the departmental computing system.
Comprising an Advisory Board for the department, the Partners will provide curriculum refinement to tune our program to the rapidly changing needs of users of statistics, and research ideas and opportunities for collaboration. The Advisory Board meets annually at the Partners Conference.
Corporate Partners establish summer and extended (6 to 9 month) intern programs
- to meet and cultivate potential employees and
- to provide temporary assistants for their in-house statisticians.
For the interns, the experience adds to their education in ways beyond that which can be achieved in the classroom.
The department has produced some 250 Ph.D. and 500 M.S. graduates. Corporate Partners will be kept informed of the interests, progress, and research of our students via a newsletter, and by meeting with the students at our annual Partners Symposium/Conference/Workshop.
The department offers short courses in several industries. With the cooperation of the partners, we hope to develop concise, well-focused, specialized courses that can be delivered in house or on campus, at the convenience of the participants. The department will offer discounts to Partners for the public offerings of our short courses.
The annual departmental newsletter is sent to all Corporate Partners.
All dissertations and technical reports will be made easily available to the Corporate Partners.
A conference will be held annually to promote information exchange.
On Tuesday afternoon partners have the opportunity to make presentations at the afternoon departmental seminar. A reception will be held that evening.
Wednesday morning the representatives will participate in an advisory board meeting at which various departmental committees will report on curriculum, student recruiting, student progress, departmental research directions, etc.
Wednesday afternoon there will be a student poster session highlighting student . A reception will follow with a presentation of departmental honors and awards.
Thursday will be devoted to student interviews and meeting with faculty to advance cooperative research programs.
For further information or to become a member, please contact:
Anne Ryan Driscoll
Assistant Collegiate Professor, Department of Statistics (MC 0439)
Hutcheson Hall, RM 401-C, Virginia Tech
250 Drillfield Drive
Blacksburg, VA 24061
Phone: (540) 231-0087
Fax: (540) 231-3863