The vision of the Virginia Tech Department of Statistics is to become the best applied statistics department in the nation. We feel that we are well on the way in the area of business and industrial statistics. The Corporate Partners program is a cooperative outreach venture to solidify the mutually beneficial ties that have been built by the Virginia Tech Department of Statistics with industry, business, and government over the past 50 years.
About the Program
- Free access to Department short courses for increasing statistical awareness and expertise for partner employees.
- Recruiting opportunities with degree candidates and graduates (B.S., M.S., M.A., and Ph.D.).
- Degrees granted include B.S. (Statistics, Computational Modeling and Data Analytics), M.S. (Statistics), M.A. (Data Analysis and Applied Statistics), and Ph.D. (Statistics)
- Annual Symposium and Advisory Board meeting for department updates, research interactions, and curriculum discussions.
- Easy access via faculty referral to leading edge research.
- Through our Statistical Applications and Innovations Group (SAIG), the Department offers short courses across a growing array of statistical applications.
- Partners enjoy free access to these courses for their employees—statisticians and non-statisticians alike. Moreover, Partners help guide the selection of topics for new course offerings that will be focused on their needs.
- Upon request, courses can also be delivered in house or on campus, at the convenience of participants.
- Partners enjoy discounts on offerings of our short courses that exceed the Partner’s free allotment.
- Partners comprise an Advisory Board to provide curriculum advice and help tune our program to the rapidly changing needs of consumers of statistical expertise.
- Research ideas and opportunities for collaboration.
- Internships and career opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students.
- Funding for graduate student assistanceships, scholarships, and awards.
- The Partners Advisory Board advises the Department on course development, curriculum, and short course content.
- Partners work with Department leadership and faculty to identify research ideas and opportunities for collaboration.
- The Advisory Board meets annually at the Partners Conference.
Corporate Partners establish summer and extended (6 to 9 month) intern programs
- to meet and cultivate potential employees and
- to provide temporary assistants for their in-house statisticians.
For the interns, the experience adds to their education in ways beyond that which can be achieved in the classroom.
The department has produced some 250 Ph.D. and 500 M.S. graduates. Corporate Partners have the opportunity to keep informed of the interests, progress, and research of our students by meeting with them at our annual Partners Symposium/Conference/Workshop.