Assistant Collegiate Professor
The Department of Statistics at Virginia Tech (https://www.stat.vt.edu/) seeks applicants for an Assistant Collegiate Professor (non tenure-track) position. This position is part of a major emphasis on statistics, computational modeling, data science, and decision making at Virginia Tech. This new faculty member will have the opportunity to be a key player in the university’s “Data Analytics and Decision Sciences” destination area and to teach in the Computational Modeling and Data Analytics program (https://www.ais.science.vt.edu/academics/cmda.html), Virginia Tech’s data science undergraduate degree.
The Collegiate Faculty position is a non-tenure position with ranks at the Assistant, Associate, and Full Collegiate Professor levels that offer 3-, 5-, and 7-year renewable appointments, respectively. This position offers a clear path to promotion with increasingly longer contracts and promotion criteria clearly defined by College of Science and University guidelines. Collegiate Faculty participate in the College’s missions for excellence in education, scholarship, service, and commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. For details on this track, see https://faculty.vt.edu/faculty-handbook/chapter05.html .
We seek candidates who are passionate about teaching statistics to undergraduate and graduate students. Responsibilities of this Collegiate Faculty position will include teaching three courses per semester, where successful candidates will:
- make contributions to our instruction in statistics, which includes computationally-intensive and massive data methods, as well as data science more broadly;
- coordinate introductory and service courses, work closely with our undergraduate students, and engage in a variety of growing statistics and interdisciplinary curricula across the university;
- continue to develop professional capabilities and participate in scholarly activities, including travel to and participation in professional conferences and societies; and,
- participate in department, college, and university service, as well as professional service.
A successful candidate for this position must have a Ph.D. in statistics, biostatistics, mathematics, computer science, or a related field and will be passionate about teaching undergraduate students in an inclusive and integrated environment. In addition, applicants should have a strong background in the application of statistics, and demonstrated research accomplishments that include journal publications and conference presentations.
Desirable characteristics we seek include a record of pedagogical achievement and vision, creativity, and leadership skills relevant to instruction. In addition, we seek candidates with experience in advising undergraduate and masters level students, statistical consulting, and statistical applications.
Applications must be submitted online at http://jobs.vt.edu (#517862) and must include
(1) a cover letter,
(2) a curriculum vita,
(3) a statement of teaching experience and philosophy,
(4) a statement on contributions to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion, and
(5) contact information for at least three references.
Review of applications will begin on January 15, 2022, and will continue until the position is filled. The anticipated start date is August 10, 2022, but may be negotiable. Questions regarding the position can be directed by email to Dr. Xinwei Deng, Faculty Search Committee Chair, at email@example.com .